This has been one tumultuous, up-and-down, tough year for many lenders and independent mortgage brokers, with still more change in the wind as far as the status of the GSEs, rate uncertainty and shifting trends in consumer behavior.
The California MBA’s upcoming Western Secondary Market Conference, set for July 14-17 in San Francisco, will bring CEOs together to discuss how IMB presidents and chief execs are dealing with the current climate’s challenges and uncertainties, as well as their prognosis for what the next 12 to 15 months will bring and how to address it. It’s the 47th annual western conference, bringing together secondary market leaders, decision-makers and vendors to stay apprised of what’s happening now and what’s coming down the road.
For further details, and to register, go to westernsecondary.com
The “All-Star IMB CEO” panel is the highlight panel of the conference. Scheduled to take part are Mike Fontaine (Plaza COO), Bill Lowman (American Pacific president/CEO), Matt Ostrander (Parkside CEO), Gary Martell (Mountain West Financial CEO), Jeff Walsh (LoanDepot COO) and Mike Yates (Best Capital Funding president).
During that panel discussion, the execs will discuss, among other matters:
- How are lender CEOs dealing with such issues as rapid rate drop, staffing and cash flow, and to what degree they’ve had to put long-term opportunities aside to address short-term needs;
- What they see in product shifts — currently and down to road — with action in the non-QM area and potential changes based on what’s happening with the GSEs;
- What is impacting the cost to produce a loan, and how to respond
- The role of digital technology in the industry, across all business channels, with documentation and data enrichment becoming a major focus
- The impact of changing customer behavior, as many customers price-shop right up to the point of signing
- The re-emergence of the broker industry, and its implications for both IMBs and customers.
California MBA members can send up to three employees age 35 or younger for free
There’s also a new servicing focus this year, with the California MBA moving some servicing content to the conference, and booking top servicing figures from Guild Mortgage, New American Funding, LoanCare, OSC and Computershare Loan Services.
Another highlight will be the capital markets panel, featuring Rob Chrisman, Brad Eskridge, Rob Kessel, Phil Rasori, Jim Glennon and Rudy Zabran — perhaps the strongest mortgage-focused capital/secondary market panel lineup at any event in the country.
Other important events not to miss at the conference include:
- An update on the status of the GSEs, with Mark Bickert from Fannie Mae; Gillian Arledge from Freddie Mac; and Roy Hormuth from Ginnie Mae on hand.
- Optimal Blue/Tavant/MQMR and accountancy firm CWDL speaking on profitability strategies for mortgage bankers.
- And the final event: a non-QM “super session” with several of the big players in that sphere. Speakers will include Michael Brenning from Deephaven Mortgage; Danny Horanyi from Caliber Home Loans; Wes Isley from Carrington Mortgage Services; Dan Perl from Citadel Servicing; Tom Hutchens from Angel Oak Mortgage Solutions; Rudy Orman, CMB, from Reliant Bank; Dane Smith from Verus Mortgage Capital; and Carl Tyree from Arch Mortgage Insurance. Jeff Juliane from Altisource will moderate.
The conference takes place in the Westin St. Francis Hotel, 335 Powell St., San Francisco. Registration through July 14 is $695 members and $845 non-members. (California MBA members can send up to three employees age 35 or younger for free.)
For further details, and to register, go to https://westernsecondary.com.